Teach students how to classify Galapagos animals and plants into groups of similar organisms, using keys. This section explains how taxonomic keys can be used to classify living organisms.
- To know that the organisms can be classified according to their physical characteristics.
- To understand how the keys can be used by scientists to identify species.
- To appreciate that taxonomic classification is an important tool for scientists.
- To give examples, illustrating how organisms can be differentiated and grouped.
- To explain how keys can be used to classify organisms. Students should discuss the different levels of the taxonomic chain.
- To discuss the importance of taxonomic classification, with reference to scientific work.
Get the lesson here.
Visit the Teacher Zone to see all teaching resources.